Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day 8 - Sprint to Rest

I used to love sprint races, the 100 yard dash at Field Day or the 100 yard butterfly in swimming, the shorter the better.  Now a sprint to me is a mile long run.  I think it's true that the older we get the more our endurance improves, but in order to gain that ability our bodies sacrifice the fast twitch muscles that give us the burst of speed needed for a sprint.

If I'm going to run everyday, I'm going to need these days to not only rest but also increase my speed in the longer distances.  It's also great for the psyche to know that today was a quick workout and I would have a little more free time this evening.

I used my extra time tonight to make a stop at the Container Store downstairs with my wife.  She was in need of Christmas wrapping paper and I was in need of those door mats that block the air from exiting out the bottom of the door.  There is definitely a name for it, but it escapes me right now.  After that I made a solo trip across the street to Whole Foods for a couple of dinner items.  It is so great to walk by the Christmas trees and take in their piny goodness.  All I hear in my head is Perry Como's rendition of "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas".

Great time of year and a great mile tonight.  I utilized our building's great gym and the treadmill for tonight's run.  For short runs or terrible weather, it's great to have a gym downstairs that can help you get the job done. 



Stats, however brief, below:

Distance: 1 Mile
Time: 7:34
Calories: 155


Until tomorrow,

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment